10 Ways to Give Yourself Some Love
Mental health is easy to overlook - we are all taught the importance of taking care of ourselves physically with proper diet, exercise, etc - but very rarely do we talk about mental wellness. I actually can't remember any point in my formal education ever having anyone acknowledge mental health - despite how much stress young adults face today.
Between trying to maintain good grades, finding your dream job, and dealing with personal life stresses, life can be overwhelming for all of us.
We've compiled a list of ideas for you to use whenever you're feeling overwhelmed with life. Use all of them, some of them, or none of them - everyone needs something different. But I hope you find at least one thing on our list that will make you feel a little more hopeful and at peace.
- Call a friend or family member who you know you can talk to and will listen
- Pamper yourself - whatever that means to you. Take a long bath, get a massage, put on a face mask with a pint of ice cream and chill.
- Make a list of things you are grateful for - people, places, or things that you appreciate even during the hard times.
- Move your body - do some activity that you enjoy, even if it's just going for a walk to clear your head.
- Blast your favorite music and drown out the world for a while.
- Cook yourself your favorite meal. Or go out and buy it if cooking isn't your thang.
- Watch your favorite light-hearted comedy. The Office is always a good go-to.
- Have a good cry - sometimes you need to let it all out when you've been holding it in for a while.
- Try something you've always wanted to try - a new workout class, a new restaurant, a new tv show.
- Allow yourself to be sad sometimes - but also recognize that these feelings and situations are temporary and you will not always feel this way.
Words: Jacquelyn Z.